Rehabilitation of CR 19 Bridge over the
LIRR & CR 97 Bridge over Furrows Road
Project Location: Holbrook
Client: Suffolk County Department of Public Works
CR 19, Patchogue-Holbrook Road Bridge over the Long Island Railroad and CR 97, Nicholls Road Bridge over Furrows Road were both in need of rehabilitation work which included epoxy costing of concrete abutments, pier caps and columns; cleaning and painting of all structural steel; replacement of silicon expansion joint system in deck slab; crack and spall repair; and wrapping of concrete columns. Work on CR 19, Patchogue-Holbrook Road Bridge over the Long Island Railroad was performed adjacent to active LIRR tracks and required close coordination with the Long Island Railroad.
N+P provided a Resident Engineer that was the daily contact person acting on behalf of the County and facilitated communication and the transfer of information between the County and the Contractor, utility companies, and other agencies as required. At the completion of the project, the Resident Engineer assisted in the preparation of all paperwork required to finalize the project.
The Resident Engineer’s duties included the following:
- Assisted with coordination of various activities between the contractor, utility companies and Suffolk County representatives prior to and during construction,
- Reviewed contractor’s shop drawings,
- Reviewed contractor’s proposals for modifications or substitutions,
- Reviewed manufacturer’s certifications for substantial conformance with the specifications,
- Reviewed contractor’s submittals including work schedule, list of subcontractors and suppliers,
- Resolved any conflicts concerning the design drawings or for the interpretation of the plans and specifications, and
- Rendered engineering services on an on-call basis to provide any consultation and or recommendations.
Relevant Project Components:
- Construction Inspection
- Coordination with LIRR for Force Account
- Review of Shop Drawings and Certifications
- Interpretation of Design Plans